Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I think there's a crown on my tart...and tray...

I have entered the highest level, ascended to the ninth cloud if you will. The double chocolate tart at Buckingham Palace's Garden Cafe is quite literally to die for. In case anyone was wondering. To back track so everyone understands why I was sitting on the terrace of Buckingham Palace (SO COOL!):


Thursday, September 9, 2010:
War Horse - the West End play I was lucky enough to see for free (go FIE!) - is definitely a departure from the expected.  It had puppets. Horse puppets. To be fair, the puppet technicians did an amazing job. Otherwise, it was...intriguing to say the least. If you're really all that curious, just google the reviews or shoot me an email and I'll go into more detail.
      After that, I went back to the dorms and did homework - shocker, I know, but I do actually have homework that - even more surprising - actually gets done!  Anyway, that was pretty much the end of the night since it ended around 11pm.


Friday, September 10, 2010:
After class, I went to Oxford Circus to have afternoon tea at Sketch. Dodgy name, eh? Well, it was really good! Biscuits with homemade raspberry jam and creamed custard. Delicious!
Here's a picture:
The place was a tad eclectic, but it all contributed to a memorable experience. 
     Once we finished, we wandered around Oxford Circus, darting in and out of shops until around 9pm.  Then our long day finally hit us and we trooped home.


Saturday, September 11, 2010:
Windsor Castle time! Waking up early on a Saturday is never easy, but ten of us did it to go sightseeing. I know, how touristy.  It was worth it.  The castle was HUGE! We spent from 10am to closing time at 4pm there.  It was a gorgeous day to top it off after a cold and blustery start.

See? Am I not right? (That's the front of Windsor Castle in the background...it's teeny tiny because we're not allowed very close.)  Apparently, one of the entrances has to be rebuilt to fit the Queen's Bentleys, which were given to her as a gift by some dignitary (I forget now...) and a fire truck got stuck under one of the arches on the way to put out a fire in 1992.  Random facts in case anyone wants to astound with the trivia they know.  Of course, I got the obligatory guard picture:

The reason I'm so far away is because a Japanese tour group ahead of us wear standing so close the uniformed guides had to SHOUT at them no less than five times.  You could tell the poor guard was incredibly irritated so I was trying to be considerate while still getting my tacky tourist picture.  By the way, you could absolutely distract this guard if you so desired...although I would rate your chances against the guards at Buckingham Palace. Now those guys are masters of the poker face.
    Once we were kicked out for closing time, we wandered over to Eton College...which was closed! One of the girls and I tried to sneak in, only to be yelled at by the porter lurking behind a door.  He called us "cheeky Americans" under his breath as we were walking away...not that I blame him!


Sunday, September 12, 2010:
The Thames River Festival!  It has taken over the South Bank for three days and now I finally had the time to go.  It was wonderful! Five stages, vendor stalls, displays of skill such as taekwondo and fire dancing.  Top it off with fireworks backlighting the London Eye and the City Council Hall for a perfect day.  Some photographic evidence if you care to peruse:










Need I say more? Haha!


Monday, September 13, 2010:
Museum time!  Maggie and I hit the Natural History Museum.  Let's just say: it requires an entire day dedicated to it.  We barely made it through the dinosaurs! 


Land Before Time, anyone? Sarah? Yeahhhh! I'm six at heart :)
Don't they look real?? Some exhibits were so well done, even I had to look twice!

Of course, all that exploring requires a trip to the local pub for some spectacular dinner so Kat, her boyfriend, his two roommates (a South Korean and a German), and I set off for Builder's Arms.  It was quite lovely!





Tuesday, September 14, 2010:
Nothing to report but classes.  And rain.  Blarg.



Wednesday, September 15, 2010:
Now, Buckingham Palace time!! 

Maggie and I toured the State Rooms for a full two and marveled over the art collection the Queen is allowed to have for her private viewing ten months out of the year (it's absurd! Some of that art should be in a museum it's so influential).  No pictures were allowed while inside the Palace, although there were easily an upwards of 2,000 crowns within those nineteen rooms (out of 661). 
     After that, we saw the adorable Garden Cafe and had to stop after seeing a woman chowing down on a chocolate tart. (No, it wasn't me although I did consider it.)
Delicious, no?  Well, there was a crown on both my tart AND my tray...not to mention the foam of my neighbor's latte!  It appears the royals are a bit obsessed with being royal...

       However, while the tart was amazing, it was not enough for lunch so Maggie and I grabbed some sandwiches and sat on a park bench in front of a fountain in St. James's Park.
Odd-looking, eh? It kind of resembles an Infinity Pool...

There was this pigeon with a one-toed foot that would NOT leave me alone! He sat there and cocked his head and refused to budge, even when I kicked in his general direction.  Bloody pigeon! So, I gave him a name: Perseverance.  Fitting, yes?
Please note the one toe on the foot closest to us.  He hasn't gotten on well with humans I take it.

      Then, we wandered down to Parliament, taking in all the typical London-esque sights.  I managed to snap the quintessential tourist picture in front of Big Ben:

Perfect, no?  Now, I'm home, curled up in my bunk, typing like a madwoman.  Now, that this post is quite literally novel, I'll sign off.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment