Saturday, September 25, 2010

This. City. Is. AMAZING!

I have some serious catching up to do!  Well, obviously, I managed to get myself locked in Hyde Park on Sunday night...I will never make that mistake again!  The main highlights of what has happened to me in the past ten days:



Thursday (Sept 16), I explored Camden town - the origin of punk/grunge in the 80s - with a flatmate.  It was very eclectic!  In other words, right up my alley :)  There are shops lining the streets that feature clothes, shoes, tattoos, piercings, you name it.  Then there are the markets down the side streets!  It's pretty much heaven.  We only explored for a couple of hours because we had dinner plans with the rest of our flat at Gourmet Burger Kitchen, literally just around the corner!  Don’t worry about me breaking my no-meat rule as London has this lovely tendency of including a vegetarian section in almost every eating establishment.  It's quite nice. 
                                                                                                                                


Friday (Sept 17) I had tea at The Orangery with some friends.  I really am becoming fond of this English tradition.  Oh!  Juicy little tidbit: The Orangery is situated on Kensington Palace grounds!  Throughout the meal, a side glance through the window displayed spectacular gardens and neat rows of hedges that the royals are so fond of.
Please note the adorable pastries at the top!  Previously, before I wolfed them down as delicately as any ravenous American might, there were four tea sandwiches and a biscuit with clotted cream and jam on the two lower levels.  I could really get used to this way of life.  Afterwards, our group meandered about the park.









Now, Saturday (Sept 18th) was our big day trip to Stonehenge and Bath with FIE.  I'll say this: Stonehenge was a bit of a letdown. It's quite awe-inspiring if contemplate the feat it took to create it utilizing the tools available at the time.  However, the government is quite strict about keeping tourists as far away as humanly possible.  Pagans who practice religious rituals, on the other hand, have no such restraints.  Apparently, one year at the Winter Solstice, they managed to actually paint the ancient stones before the anthropologists regained control. 

I decided to take a funny picture attempting to sneak in, but the guard was not nearly as amused.  He calmed down considerably when he realized I wasn't trying to approach the stones in reality.  I did manage to ruffle his feathers a bit though.  Oh well, American is as American does I suppose. Anyway, here's the picture:






The Roman Baths with a cathedral in the background.

Back on the bus to Bath.  First stop, the ancient Roman baths, which gave the town its name.  There is a natural upwelling of warm water from deep within the Earth that the Romans harnessed to create their baths.  Now, while you're not allowed to go in them, you can still drink the mineral-rich waters at the affordable cost of £5 a teeny glass.  Yes, I've picked up the English taste for wry understatement. 













The Royal Crescent

Onward to the rest of city! We hit up all the historic sites: the Royal Crescent and the Queen's Square where aristocrats used to vacation, the botanic gardens, a walk down the river.  It is a very picturesque town with an extensive history.  I'd love to go back!

We were back in time for a night on the town, but honestly the day had been draining - walking for five straight hours will do that to a person - so I simply stayed in. 



Sunday (Sept 19) was a catch-up day for me.  Laundry, homework, and the like.  Nothing too crazy.  With the exception of being locked in Hyde Park as I've mentioned several times.


Monday (Sept 20) I went to Harrods and Hyde Park and explored a portion of the Tate Modern.  I love that the museums are free in this country.  It's an incentive to go for us poor college students.  Then, Pearl arrived! We had dinner at a pub near her hotel and arranged to meet the next day after my grueling 11 hours of class.

Tuesday (Sept 21) was actually nice because I only had two classes instead of three back-to-back.  The first two I managed but then I had a break until I attended a play for my Environmental Economics class at 7pm.  Thus, I did homework like any good student.  Then, I attended a play called "Earthquakes in London", an experimental, government-funded play.  It was interesting and definitely thought-provoking.  How would you respond to the news that the human race would go extinct in a couple generations?  Would you attempt to never have children?  Would you try to change it?  Would you simply proclaim the news?  Would you bury your head in the sand and drink to forget? The play follows the reactions of people to this news; culminating in, predictably, an earthquake that kills everyone.  Light-hearted stuff, don't you think?


On Wednesday (Sept 22), Pearl and I had lunch, wandered about, and ended up in Camden town.  There, we discovered dresses made of ties, hemp clothing, and some tasty crepes.  Then, I accompanied her to Drury Lane in the West End (London's Broadway) so she could attend Oliver! with her program.  On the way there, we discovered her roommate wasn't coming so I got her ticket!  The show was amazing!  And the set was fantastic!  Almost beyond words. 


Thursday (Sept 23) I began rock-climbing again.  After lunch with Pearl at a Lebanese restaurant, I hurried to a five-hour class on top-roping.  Necessary since I only boulder and thus am not as familiar with the equipment as I should be.  The class was really good and the gym is dazzling in its diversity of routes and different types of climbing.  There's bouldering, top-roping, lead-climbing, both indoor and outdoor.  I met a woman from East London who taught me a bit of Cockney, and a woman going through a bit of midlife crisis - she's also taken up kite-lamboarding (I'm not sure how to spell that), which is essentially skateboarding with a kite. 

Friday (Sept 24) was an errand day.  Grocery shopping, class, homework.  Oh, and I've begun research on a program that would let me intern in London next summer.  It's thrilling to see the opportunities open up in front of you!  Most of my day and night were occupied in that fashion. 

Today (Saturday, Sept 22), after I finish blogging, I'm going to a food exhibition where master chefs test out their creations on the willing public, then I'm going to a rugby match - Harlequins vs Exeter Chiefs.  It's supposed to be really fun! 


Alright, another novel down.  I promise, I'm going to try and write more so I don't end up with marathon posts like this!  Hope all is well on your end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment